Hare: Choo Nai Kwong
Co Hares: Lai Foo Weng, Pang Soo Wah, Michael Tan, Yoong Nim, Chee, Ah Guan
Chinese New Year Outstation Run at Gopeng
This year’s CNY “Sau Kong” Run will be held in Gopeng, a small town in Perak 150 km north of KL. Gopeng is a historical mining town, also famous for its limestone caves and white water rafting (that’s where we are running).
Whilst it is possible to drive there and back in one day (run site is about 2 hours from KL), we recommend an overnight stay in Kampar, a bigger town 15 km away. Kampar is renowned as a young university town and for its good food. On on dinner will be at Kampar.
If you want to bunk out in Kampar, the 2 recommended hotels (only because they are very near the on on restaurant, some nice pubs, hypermarket and McDonald’s/Starbucks) are:
- M Boutique Hotel Kampar
- Grand Kampar Hotel
Run site GPS Coordinates – 4.446498, 101.187365 (search for “Gua Tempurung Rafting” in Google Maps)
Restaurant (Feng Huang)
GPS Coordinates: 4.330345, 101.146941
- Go to North South Expressway and head north towards Ipoh, Penang
- Exit Gopeng 135 which is about 150 km from Jln Duta Toll
- Zero your trip meter at traffic lights after toll booth. Turn Left here.
- 0.6 km, Turn Left into kampung road
- 1.2 km, go on overhead bridge above the NSE
- 2.5 km, Turn Left
- 2.8 km. Turn Right at “De River Resort” sign
- Follow trail road and park at open area at 3.2 km
Note: if you want to check into hotel prior to run, it is better to exit NSE
earlier at Tapah and make your way to Kampar first. Time from hotel to run
site is less than half hour (<15 km).